“About 1868, four more rooms were added at the rear of the house. A carriage house was added in 1870 and this later became a garage. The original foundation was cedar ‘wheels’.
“The house changed ownership many times. It originally belonged to Mary J. Darling, then H. Nichols, followed by Amos Maxwell and Fred and Jean Dolley. The late Rita Bradley of Sattley recalled she used to play with Margie Dolley, their daughter. The next owners were Earnest Lombardi, then Freda and Robert Ryder who sold to Richard E. and Jessie Barrington. Richard was a business partner with Chance Goodrich in the Sierraville Lumber Company and bought the property before 1950. Mrs. Barrington continued to live in the big house alone after her husband died. After her death in 1973, Jean and Jerry McCaffrey purchased the property. During their tenure, there were two weddings, a baptism and many, many civic meetings. Assemblymen, State Senators, U.S. Congressmen and a U.S. Senator had been guests, in addition to their many local friends and families.”
Photo courtesy Rick Maddalena