If you choose to be outdoors this Memorial Day weekend, please investigate the many recreation opportunities available on the Plumas National Forest by visiting the Forest website at: https://www.fs.usda.gov/recmain/plumas/recreation. Campfire permits are available online at: https://www.readyforwildfire.org/permits/campfire-permit/ .
A couple of other safety reminders:
- Observe local health orders. Practice: Know Before You Go - Pack It In-Pack It Out - Leave No Trace
- There is still patchy snow at higher elevations, including in the La Porte, Bucks Lake and Lakes Basin Recreation Areas.
- Forest roads can be narrow and winding. Slow down and be on the lookout for road damage caused by snow and recent rain.
- Warmer weather means the snow is melting. This leads to swift, very cold water in our streams and lakes. These conditions can prove fatal to even the most experienced swimmer. Please exercise good judgement and wear a life jacket.
- Extended drought conditions mean many of our reservoirs are very low. Please “know before you go” and ensure your boat may be launched & moored at your desired location.
- As always, all fireworks are prohibited on national forest lands. Regulations are strictly enforced to protect public and natural resources.
For more information about the Plumas National Forest visit http://www.fs.usda.gov/plumas and www.Facebook.com/usfsplumas