Nevada City, Calif. May 27, 2021 — This Monday, Memorial Day, as we honor all the heroes who gave their lives in military service to this nation, the U.S. Forest Service would also like to remind all visitors to plan ahead before visiting the Tahoe National Forest and to please recreate responsibly.
Responsible recreation means:
- Make sure your campfire is out before you leave: douse with water, stir, and feel for warmth.
- Repeat the steps above as necessary.
- Campfires must be attended at all times; California Campfire Permits are required.
- Most campsites are booked in advance –you may not secure a campground without a reservation.
- To reserve a Tahoe National Forest campsite, please visit recreation.gov.
- No trashcan? It’s your responsibility to pack out all trash when you leave, including toilet paper when no restroom facilities exist.
- During the spring, roads may be passable in the morning but muddy and impassable as temperatures warm during the day.
- Don’t get stuck or damage roads.
For a campground and recreation site update, please visit our Weekly Update online or see the attachment: Memorial Day Weekend_ Open Campgrounds and Recreation Sites.
USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer, and lender.