SIERRA COUNTY – Medicare’s Open Enrollment period begins Oct. 15 and ends Dec. 7. During that period, Medicare recipients may:
- Switch from Original Medicare to Medicare Advantage.
- Switch from Medicare Advantage to Original Medicare.
- Switch from one Medicare Advantage plan to another.
- Switch from one Medicare Part D prescription drug plan to another.
- Enroll in a Medicare Part D plan if you didn’t enroll when you first were eligible for Medicare.
To help you understand your options, you can schedule a free one-on-one session with a local state-registered HICAP Medicare counselor.
HICAP (the Health Insurance Counseling & Advocacy Program) is administered by the California Department of Aging. Its trained volunteer counselors are available by phone and video-conferencing to answer questions and help seniors and other eligible recipients understand their Medicare rights and benefits.
HICAP counselors can provide information about Medicare supplemental insurance (Medigap policies); Medicare Advantage plans; employee and retiree coverage; long-term-care insurance and how to appeal coverage denials.
HICAP serves clients in El Dorado, Nevada, Placer, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Sierra, Sutter, Yolo and Yuba counties, regardless of income or age.
To schedule a free, one-hour phone or videoconference appointment with a state-registered HICAP Medicare counselor in Sierra County, call(530) 993-4770.
Once your appointment is scheduled, you will receive an appointment reminder by phone, email or text prior to your appointment.
For more information, go to www.HICAPservices.net.