Ground resources made positive progress yesterday afternoon backed by multiple helicopters and air tankers dropping water and retardant. The Very Large Air Tanker (VLAT) made numerous drops in the early evening. VLAT's are converted DC-10's or 747's that supply nearly 20,000 gallons of retardant per drop. Air resources will continue support today as conditions allow.
The Loyalton Fire displayed active behavior throughout the night. Firefighters worked through the night extinguishing spot fires outside the current fire perimeter and protecting threatened structures. Extreme fire behavior has been displayed at times, especially when overhead thunderstorm cells cause downdrafts and dangerous fire conditions.
Evacuations: Effective immediately, Lassen County Sheriff’s Office has issued Evacuation Orders for the following areas:
· Mandatory Evacuation Order has been issued for residents from the intersection of Red Rock Road and Hwy 395 to the State line.
· Effective immediately, Mandatory Evacuation Order has been issued for residents on Scott Road on the north side of Hwy 70.
· Effective immediately, a Mandatory Evacuation Order has been issued for residents from the intersection of Hwy 49 and 70 east to Hwy 70 and Hwy 395. Hwy 395 south to the state line. This encompasses everything south of Hwy 70 and west of 395.
· Effective immediately, an Evacuation Advisory has been issued for the north side of Hwy 70 and the east side of Hwy 395.
· People need to leave the evacuation area. Please be courteous to your neighbors and use caution due to first responders in the area. Evacuees needing shelter should call the Lassen County Emergency Shelter number (530)250-9088.
· People with special needs who will need help evacuating should call (530)257-6121 and let us know what assistance you will need. Deputies are going door to door in the area to notify residents.
Red Flag Warnings are in place throughout the immediate area today due to thunderstorms, strong outflow winds, and dry vegetation.