While not exempt from these fire restrictions, the conditions for woodcutting on the Lassen National Forest has changed during elevated restrictions. Now with a valid Forest Service fuelwood permit, woodcutters may operate a chainsaw to cut firewood if the daily fire project activity levels allow.
It is the responsibility of the cutter to obtain the “Woodcutting Status” each day prior to cutting by calling (530) 257-9553. The recorded message will be updated daily to notify potential cutters if the next day has any restrictions such as, 1 o’clock shut-down, open all day (no restrictions), or no woodcutting allowed that day.
Additional highlights of the restrictions in effect include:
- Open fires are prohibited outside of designated, developed campgrounds and camp sites, even with a valid California campfire permit. Designated Recreation Sites that are exempted from fire restrictions (Order #06-18-01 Exhibit A) are exempted because fuel management within these areas decreases the likelihood of fire start and subsequent transfer to wildland. The Caribou and Thousand Lakes Wilderness Area are exempted, the past winter has moderated the susceptibility of fuel conditions to fire slight and visitor use is low. The designated area map for the High Lakes Recreation Area (Order # 06-18-01 Exhibit B) is also exempted because the fuel arrangement within the area decreases the likelihood of fire start and subsequent transfer to wildland.
- Smoking is prohibited except within an enclosed vehicle, building or designated recreation site.
- Operating an external combustion engine, except a motor vehicle is prohibited outside designated recreation sites.
- Motor vehicles are allowed only on established Forest System roads, trails or within designated recreation sites.
- Welding and operating acetylene or other torches with an open flame is prohibited.
“The mix of high temperatures and winds increase fire danger,” Lassen National Forest Fire Management Officer Steve Griffin said. “The most important thing is for forest visitors to exercise caution when out in the forest.”
Visit the Lassen National Forest web site at http://www.fs.usda.gov/lassen to learn more about fire restrictions or contact your local Forest Service office.
· Forest Headquarters (530) 257-2151
· Almanor Ranger District (530) 258-2141
· Eagle Lake Ranger District (530) 257-4188
· Hat Creek Ranger District (530) 336-5521
Lassen National Forest
2550 Riverside Drive
Susanville, CA 96130
Caring for the land and serving people
This electronic message contains information generated by the USDA solely for the intended recipients. Any unauthorized interception of this message or the use or disclosure of the information it contains may violate the law and subject the violator to civil or criminal penalties. If you believe you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete the email immediately.