SACRAMENTO, Calif. – On April 2, 2019, the California Department of Water Resources (DWR) will conduct the fourth snow survey media availability of the season. This event invites members of the media to join DWR staff as they measure water content in the snowpack. The April survey typically takes place when the snowpack is at its deepest and water content, a key indicator for water supply, is at its highest for the season. DWR may conduct another survey in May, depending on forecasts and changes to snowpack.
When: Tuesday April 2, 2019, 11:00 a.m.
Where: Phillips Station, intersection of US 50 and Sierra-at-Tahoe Road (directions below)
Who: California Department of Water Resources
The Phillips Station snow course is one of more than 260 snow courses across the Sierra Nevada that DWR manually or electronically measures each winter and early spring. Data collected from the monthly snow surveys help determine the amount of water that will melt and run off to state reservoirs during warmer months. The information is critical to the water managers who allocate California’s natural water resources to regions downstream.
Following the survey, conducted by DWR’s Snow Survey Section, DWR leadership will respond to questions from the media, and be available for interviews immediately following the briefing.
For those unable to attend, video and photos of the survey, along with staff comments, will be available the afternoon of April 2.
Directions and instructions for media:
- Be prepared for mountain driving conditions and carry chains.
- Snowshoes are recommended.
- The Phillips Station snow course is located on private property. Media should not arrive before 10 a.m. per landowner’s restrictions. Early arrivals may be towed.
- Arrival at Phillips by 10:30 a.m. will allow time for parking in the designated location on Highway 50 or in Lot E at Sierra-at-Tahoe Resort. Approved parking areas are designated in the maps below. No parking is allowed along Sierra-at-Tahoe Road.
- Access to the snow course behind landowner’s home will not be allowed prior to event. Violators may be asked to leave.
Map (below) shows location of home and snow course. Limited media parking available along Highway 50 in areas designated on map.