According to the law, a driver must allow three feet of distance when overtaking or passing a bicyclist. If three feet is not available, a driver must then slow to a safe speed and pass when no danger is present.
"Be sure to move over or slow down to pass when you see a bicyclist on the road and help keep our roadways a safer place," said CHP Commissioner Joe Farrow.
According to data from the Statewide Integrated Traffic Records System, in 2012, there were 153 bicyclists killed in California, which reflects a 7 percent increase from 2011. Those deaths accounted for 5 percent of the total collision fatalities in California.
Here’s a list of local biking events:
• TOUR DE MANURE is on June 20th and offers a 62-mile loop, a 42-mile loop and a 30-mile out and back route with food, drink and SAG wagons and supports Sierraville Fire and Rescue.
• USA Cycling Amateur Road NationAL Championships SIERRAVILLE LOOP starts June 24th at 7:30 a.m. - 3:20 p.m. and awards are held at Northstar at 8 p.m.
• USA Cycling Amateur Road NationAL Championships LOYALTON June 26th and June 27th start 9 a.m. on Friday and 10 a.m. on Saturday at Loyalton City Park. Awards each night are at 6 p.m. at Northstar Resort.
• THE AGONY RIDE, sponsored by Christian Encounter Ministries is held July 24-28 in Loyalton and is a 24-hour bike-a-thon to raise funds.
• GRAN FONDO “Where the mountains meet the valley,” is September 13th in Loyalton and offers three engaging routes and supports local schools.
THE WEEK END of June 26-27 is looking like a major one for Sierra Valley.
That’s the weekend of the USA Cycling Amateur Road National Championships starting in Sierraville June 24th and at Loyalton City Park June 26 and 27.
It’s also the weekend of the Loyalton graduating class of 1965’s 50-year reunion at Annie and Craig’s west of Loyalton and the 20-year reunion of the class of 1995 to be held at Sierra Valley Lodge in Calpine with a barbecue on Saturday at Graeagle’s Mill Pond.
There will be music at the Lodge in Calpine Saturday night as well as music by The Bourgeois Gypsies in the Loyalton City Park Saturday night.
TO VOLUNTEER HELP at the USA Cycling event, go to http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0b4ea8ac28aaf85-amateur
Hundreds of volunteers are needed!